You know when you are chasing bugs it can take a lot of time and energy. While I’m still fatigued I ran into a small design problem, a decision I wrote without really thinking how QNetworkReply would react thus I ran into a lot of crashes. See, crashes you at least have info to work with as the GDB would stop and deliver the frames that you will later check.

When it comes to CPU hog though, everything becomes a chase. Sometimes you either require gut feeling, or a lot of poking through the threads to see if a thread is stuck in a loop. Sadly, due to my limited experience with GDB I just can’t say “hey, alert me if you are busting a nut over there”.

Before I go on, the reason I ran into this specific problem was because I’m taking advantage of QObject parent/child relation. At the same time I’ve been moving away from pointers or anything heap related unless I really require them, which so far I haven’t had the need. This also means less memory management for me. So, if a QObject that is a parent dies, it takes the children along with it, which is incredibly ideal for me.

See, these butterflies I’m talking about aren’t real. I made the mistake of doing a test with data that is 10 years old, with address that I have to poll with QNAM. There’s a lot of redirection/error handling that needs to be in place–which I have taken care of–so I noticed that a thread (apparently a HTTP Thread by NAM) was hogging a core for itself, then after 30 seconds to a minute it would stop/terminate. My first thought was to poke the parsers, since last time I ran into a loop problem as they weren’t able to handle a instruction so it went into a loop. I think, maybe some wouldn’t call it CPU hog as to be honest said CPU hog stopped.

I got fed up; it was a dead end. If there’s a problem with my source code, I can’t detect it. I’m flushing QNetworkReplies as safely as I can, aborting them as safely as I can. So… time to go with a fresh test case. I’m using recent URLs of updated sites and have noticed that there’s no CPU hog anymore. Granted, I still have to keep testing.

I feel like I wasted a day though. A dead end with no clue. It’s a bit frustrating as all these speculations of a memory/cpu hog problem wasn’t real, or maybe it is and I haven’t really scratched the surface of it. On the bright side I cleaned up an class and its behavior is more predictable than before.

On a side note, I feel like I’m doing premature optimization and I should really stop. There has to be a legitimate issue before I jump into these types of searches.